Comments: Borderline

Email me if you want to talk. I've been there. So, so many times. It works out, but man, the doing sucks.

Posted by jodifur at November 20, 2012 8:06 AM

Sending hugs to you and to Owen. My adenoids were not removed until I was 15 and I really struggled. You're doing the right thing.

Posted by Maribeth at November 20, 2012 8:54 AM

Always, always, trust your intuition. A very smart pediatrician once told me that no one knows a child like his mom(or dad). Keep going and pressing until you get answers and things get better!

Many of my nieces and nephews and brothers have also had their adenoids removed. From what I understand, no fun, but they felt 100% better once healed.

I agree that you are doing the right thing. Hang in there mom!

Posted by 3jaysmom at November 20, 2012 9:23 AM

I know it really sucks. But I promise you feel so much better when you ask the question, look into the issue, then worrying about it. Please feel free to email me - you know I've loved your kids, in a totally-non-creepy Internet way, for a long time!

Posted by Sam at November 20, 2012 9:36 AM

I hope it's not too annoying that I compare your Owen to my Taiden so much. I know all kids are different, but ours are really close in age and seem to have alot of similar traits. TK's speech evaluation is on the 30th.
Go with your gut on the Adnoid thing.
Hugs.

Posted by Summer at November 20, 2012 11:27 AM

Out of curiosity, how do you know the speech and adenoids are unrelated?
My daughter had to have her adenoids removed twice (because they don't actually remove them - just cut them back. And they grew back). We had the adenoids removed because of sleep apnea and reoccuring ear infections and they ended up taking the tonsils the second too. However, her speech delay/problems disappeared afterwards (after a tough month or so adjustment period).
It wasn't until afterwards the doc told us that her adenoids and tonsils had been so large that they had been preventing the soft palate (the roof of her mouth) from moving - something that is necessary for speech.
Anyway, that's my long way of saying yes, go with your gut and 'stand up and yell'. But also, be wary of going in with written-in-stone preconceived notions. Things will get better, but maybe not in the exact way you think.

Posted by Jenny at November 20, 2012 12:38 PM

Good for you! That's what Mamma's do, or the good ones anyway! I hope you get all of the answers you need.

Posted by Em at November 21, 2012 7:24 PM