Comments: The Weeklies #243

I think it's a bit embarrassing for Beyoncé :P Badly done. But also, hardly national news. I know it was cold and all, (not that cold, though, to this Canadian girl) and I can see how that might've made it a bit harder to sing...but yeah. But also, I think that people aren't really used to hearing truly live vocal performances, and are super, super hard on singers. But maybe that's just me. Also, I said but way, way too much in this post. /theend

Posted by Heather at January 25, 2013 10:39 AM

No deal at all. Truthfully, how many of the people who are "shocked" that this happened actually watched the inauguration, instead of just hearing about it through the media? Singing the national anthem at a major event is typically a no-win situation for the singer. 1/3 of the audience will think the singer knocked it out of the park, another 1/3 will think its ok, but not up to 'Whitney's standard', and the remaining 1/3 will think it stunk and Artist-I-Really_Like would have been SO much better. I think if the singer can get up there, everyone hears the song (even if they get some of the words wrong), and they don't cause an international incident, everyone wins. :)

Posted by j at January 25, 2013 11:10 AM

I just got to my office and took off my scarf and now am very glad I was not wearing earbuds! Yikes!

As for the inauguration, I loved it (sorry kids) and was very excited to hear James Taylor sing. Beyonce is no James Taylor. That is all.

Posted by James Proffitt at January 25, 2013 12:17 PM

Don't care...it was cold and it would have been difficult for her to reach the end of the Mall with her voice. We know she can sing...so one time she lip-synched to make sure she go it right in the freezing weather.

Posted by Kristin at January 25, 2013 1:14 PM

Once we ditched cable we started watching many BBC programs. We really enjoyed Doc Martin for a few seasons. Luther is the one that I absolutely can't get enough of. Try it. Iris Elba is honestly compelling.

Posted by Amanda L. at January 25, 2013 2:49 PM

It's no big deal that she lip-synced. Hell, Whitney Houston did it at the Super Bowl 13 years ago and no one complained.

Bad comparison I'll admit, but lip-syncing is prevalent. Just ask Milli Vanilli. *rimshot*

Posted by Matt Sledge at January 25, 2013 4:08 PM

Oh the earbud static!! It's happened to me taking laundry out of the dryer! I suppose I should know better - but I don't!
I had a common head cold last week which turned overnight into a sinus "thing" with my right eye googled shut by morning.
It's so hard to tell (for me) if someone is actually lip syncing so if that's what a professional performer needs to do because of weather or how much they have to project or even what's going to sound best - do it. I'd rather hear lip sync than a shitty performance!

Posted by NancyB at January 26, 2013 6:28 AM